If you liked the awesome, fair and balanced redistricting hearing earlier this month, you're gonna love the second meeting on Monday evening at Westfield High School!
There, folks will discuss the four options on the table. Here's a brief synopsis posted online by someone whose CAPS LOCK key is apparently broken:
option 1: mcnair and part of floris split between herndon and south lakes; oak hill to westfieldFunny, again, how Langley's ridiculous, brazenly income-based boundaries aren't on the table at all.
option 2: mcnair split between herndon and south lakes madison island to south lakes; fox mill to south lakes; oak hill to oakton
option 3: same as option 2 except navy to oakton instead of oak hill
option 4: aldrin & armstong to south lakes; part of mcnair and floris to herndon; madison island to south lakes; oak hill to westfield
But this isn't about diversity at all! Which is why Herndon High School, which arguably has the least political and economic clout of any of the potentially affected high schools -- and the most to lose, by any legitimate reasoning -- is organizing busing to the meeting. Let's just ignore the irony of busing to protest what opponents at schools with far less of a legitimate ax to grind see as busing and move on, shall we?
In preparation for Monday's meeting, here's a preview of the ongoing high-minded discussions people have been having about redistricting when they don't have to stand up in front of a public forum to do so:
>>You want us to give you a few of our Whites and Asians. Correct? And, yes, the Asians are often forgotten. Why is that, do you think?Just remember: It's all about the band programs.
>>The thought of my child being forced to attend South Lakes makes me physically ill!
>>Option 4 makes the most sense. That way all the grass fairies at RFC can stay together through high school.
>>Getting angry that there aren't enough minorities at certain schools would be like faulting sub-saharan Africa for not having enough white kids in their schools. THERE JUST AREN'T ENOUGH MINORITIES TO GO AROUND, AS WONDERFUL AS IT WOULD BE. So lets just put down the race issue before people start realizing South Lakes' lack of asian, pacific-islander, and American Indian students.
>>and who says i amz at south lakez?
>>The Mayor of Vienna should force everyone in that town who wants to move to sell their house to a Black family. There is way too little diversity in that town. After that, McLean and Great Falls must sell only to the 'right' minorities too.
>>You'd hate to have me as your mother, because:
1. There would be no internet in your bedroom. Your access to the kitchen computer would be strictly monitored and limited. Also, I would be able to check every key stroke you made.
2. There would be no T.V. during the school week; neither would you be playing on iPods, Xbox 360, Wii, PS3, etc.
3. You wouldn't get your license when your turned 16, because that is too young. You'd be lucky to be diving anything before at least 17. No cell phones until you are driving, and even then, no text messaging, camera, or internet access on that phone.
4. You wouldn't be hanging at anyone's house unless I checked out the place first. No mother there, no Erjon there. You would have chores at home and you would also volunteer your services to older neighbors who needed help, an animal shelter, etc.
5. And, I would be on you like white on rice.
6. Because, you are entitled to nothing, except that I take good care of you and that, I would do.
>>And yes, you did waste four years of your life at South Lakes. My children should have gone there, but unlike your parents, I was concerned about my children's education and sent them to private school. And no, you aren't pimps, you are the hos. Your parents are the pimps.