News and notes from Reston (tm).

Thursday, June 3, 2010

This Week in Crime: Hunters Woods Elementary Break-In, and an Update on Garden State II: Full Metal Jacket

lloyd-woodson-branchburg-moteljpg-871392790d475911_large.jpgHey, remember that time Reston native Lloyd Woodson decided to go on a nice vacation in New Jersey, and brought an "arsenal of weapons" with him? Yeah, that was awesome. Well, he's planning on pleading insanity, which seems like a decent strategy, given that he apparently preferred the charms of the Garden State to our own earth-toned community.

The attorney for a Virginia man accused of stashing an arsenal of weapons in a motel room here said he plans to pursue a psychiatric defense on his client’s behalf.

Lloyd Woodson, 44, of Reston, Va., was charged with multiple offenses, including second-degree attempted armed robbery and possession of a firearm for an unlawful purpose.

During today’s status conference before Superior Court Judge Paul Armstrong in Somerville, defense lawyer James Wronko said a psychiatrist, Martin Weinapple, has evaluated Woodson and is waiting for the man’s military records before he completes a report.

The Jan. 25 case started shortly before 4 a.m. when Branchburg police responded to a call about a suspicious person inside a Quick Chek on Route 28, the prosecutor’s office has said.

Woodson was in the store about 40 minutes but ran out when a patrolman approached him. Officers then arrested him at the Regency Trailer Park on Route 22.

He was wearing a bullet-proof vest and had a loaded Bushmaster .223-caliber rifle converted for .50-caliber rounds, authorities have said.
In the room he rented at the Red Mill Inn on Route 22, police found another semi-automatic rifle with a defaced serial number, hundreds of rounds of ammunition and other items.

Federal officials say he also had a map of the U.S. Army base at Fort Drum, N.Y. Woodson is facing a federal charge for being a convicted felon in possession of weapons.

Woodson deserted the Navy in 1989. It was eight years before he was returned to naval custody, and he was discharged in August 1997, according to military officials.
Meanwhile, closer to home, someone broke into Hunters Woods Elementary School... for no apparent reason.
Someone broke into the Hunter Woods Elementary School, 2401 Colts Neck Road, some time between 2:13 a.m. and 2:20 a.m. on Thursday, May 27. Minor damage was caused inside but nothing appeared to be missing.
Guess seven minutes wasn't long enough to find the really good gluesticks.


  1. I can think of any number of young lads awaiting the opportunity to break OUT of HWE.

  2. And there is no such thing as a 'really good' gluestick....


(If you don't see comments for some reason, click here).